This deep lateral side stretch contracts the oblique on one side while lengthening the area under the ribs to the top of the hip on the other side.
Rocking into and out of each rep facilitates torso mobility and lateral spinal extension.
Engaging the shoulder blades in the back stretches the chest. Spatial awareness and active resistance is required to keep your body from falling over. You’ll want to ground down into the active resistance with your legs by pushing down into the floor as hard as possible.
✔️How to do a lateral side stretch in Active Resistance Training®
- Sit upright on the floor with one knee bent and one leg straight
- Place a foam yoga block behind your head
- Press your head into the block and the block into your head
- Engage the upperback and pull the elbows back
- Keep shoulders low and level
- Remaining lateral, dip elbow to the block.
- Keep both hips glued to the floor