This beginner flexibility exercise will relieve tension, gently release the lower back, and gently lengthen the hamstrings (back of the legs).
✔️How to do it
– Have a seat on the floor with legs extended and back straight.
– Bend your knees and slide one foam yoga block underneath the back of each knee, more toward the end of the thigh, than under the knee itself.
– Lean forward and grab both feet. Engage the upper back and pull the shoulders backward, slightly arching the upper back.
– Pull the navel backward, engaging the active resistance, and start to extend one leg straight and alternatingly extend and bend right and left legs.
– Push each thigh down into the block as you extend each leg for a quick second.
– The shoulders remain engaged, and the navel continues to pull backward.
– Start with ten repetitions and work up to timed sequences of up to a full minute.